The brain is the most multifaceted and mysterious of all body parts. It can perform countless functions simultaneously with just a second. Scientist and doctor haven’t still understood some amazing facts about the brain. Moreover, it’s the complex of the human body. However, some facts are amazing as well as interesting. In this article, we will cover up some of this. So let’s start.
Anatomy of the Human Brain
The largest part is the cerebrum that is divided into two hemispheres. Here Underneath keeps the brainstem, behind this, there is the cerebellum. Thus, the utmost layer of the cerebrum is the important cerebral cortex. It consists four lobes including the parietal lobe, the frontal lobe, the occipital lobe, and the temporal lobe.
The cerebral cortex is enlarged in human brains. Visual processing operates in the occipital lobe which is near the back of the skull. On the other hand, the temporal lobe handles the language and sound.
Amazing Facts about the Brain
There are lots about brain which haven’t discovered yet. Let’s see some interesting fact about the brain.
Interesting Brain Facts by The Numbers
Here are some interesting numerical facts about the brain.
- The typical brain form about 2% of the total weight of the body. However, the brain uses 20% of its total energy.
- The brain is about 73% water.
- The weight of the human brain is about three pound. Where 60% of the weight is fat, make it the fattiest organ in the body. Meanwhile, 25% of the total cholesterol is in the brain.
- The most interesting fact is that without sufficient cholesterol, the cell of the brain will die.
- The brain contains approximately 86 billion cells. But no one is sure.
- In per second, neuron sends 1,000 nerve impulses.
- The size of all brain cells is not alike. However, there are more than 10000 types of neurons.
- The brain needs a continuous supply of oxygen. Just five minutes without the oxygen supply, some cell will die and may cause brains damage.
- The information or data travels up to 268 miles per hour. Thus, it’s faster than car race Formula 1 speed which is at 240 mph.
- Brain generated around 12-25 watts of electricity which can cover a low-wattage LED light.
- In each day, the brain generates up to 50,000 thoughts. As a result, another name of the brain is “random thought generator.”
- Brain flow 750-1,000 milliliters of blood in every minute. The amount can fill a liter bottle of soda or a bottle of wine.
- To process an image, the brain takes only takes 13 milliseconds.
Interesting Facts about Brain Size
When it comes to the brain, size matters with few things. But doesn’t indicate bigger always are smarter. Let’s see some facts about brain size.
- Men’s brain is about 10% bigger than women.
- Where the average brain size is 1400 grams, famous scientist Albert Einstein’s brain was 1,230 grams or 2.71 pounds, 10% smaller than normal brain size.
- The brains of Neanderthal were 10% larger than the Homo sapiens brain.
Interesting Facts about the Memory
- There is a misconception that brain record memory like a camera, but actually, it’s not.
- Memory is a not just a particular area of the brain; it’s an activity. Any given memory is distributed and deconstructed in different parts of the brain.
- The slowing process of the brain starts at the mature age of 24.
Interesting Facts about Brain Function and Form
- The human brain’s function and design are uniquely stunning.
- Human brain tissue is soft, squishy and fragile, more like the consistency of gelatin or soft tofu.
- The brain generates almost half a cup of fluid every day.
- Each human brain’s pattern is different and unique as fingerprints.
- Though the pain is generated from the brain, it can’t feel any pain, and there are no pain receptors in the brain.
- Interestingly, the brain also freezes but doesn’t freeze the brain cells. The brain freeze is sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia. Thus, it happens when you drink or eat something cold. However, it chills the arteries and blood vessels in the back of the throat. It will be alright when it gets warm again.
- The brain of extroverts and introverts are different.
Why Is Brain Compared With The Computer?
Throughout early age, the human brain is compared with a computer. At early past, the brain was thought more like a water clock and telephone switchboard. But in recent days, it is compared to a computer. Some people think the computer is better than the brain, and other’s think the brain is better. However, we can say that in some cases a computer is better and some cases brain.
For sending a message, both computer and brain use electronic signals. Thus brains apply chemicals to send information or date; computer needs electricity. However, both of them transmit information.
Both brain and computer have a memory, and that can grow. Computer memory can be grown by adding chips. On the other hand, brain memory develops by synaptic connections. Both can learn and adopt new things.
Computer and brain both require energy. Where the brain wants nutrients like sugar and oxygen, computer required electricity for working properly. Meanwhile, both can so logical tasks and math. But the computer is faster in doing such logical things.
Human brain Vs. Other Animals
Famous neurosurgeon Eric Holland said the main distinction between human and other animals is the size. In his research at the University of Washington and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, he found that human got more neurons than animals in per unit volume.
The human brain contains the largest cerebral cortex among all mammals, regarding the size. This cerebral cortex does the functions of communicating, memory or thinking. Thus, fish, birds, and reptiles have smaller cerebral cortexes. Human has larger frontal lobes. It is closely related to higher-level functions like logic, planning, control, and abstract thought.
So the bigger doesn’t mean a smarter animal- it just a ratio.
The brain is the most miraculous organ of all body parts. Thus, we know very little about amazing facts about the brain. Scientists and neurologists are exploring each day about the brain. Thanks for being with us.