Craving for delicious fried pickles? Wondering how to make fried pickles? Well, fried pickles are perfect for a daytime party, barbeque or as afternoon snacks. Fried pickles originated from the southern U.S, was firstly appeared in the 1960s. However, there is the various ways to make this delicious snack, but main ingredients are oil, butter, and pickled cucumber. In this article, we discuss three different methods to make fried pickles. So have a look.
How to Make Fried Pickles
Fried pickles are a tasty appetizer. It’s a great afternoon snack and alternative of fried fish, onion rings or fried chicken and chips. There are different methods to making fried pickles. Some of the methods are-
- Simple Fried Pickles
- Sweet and Spicy Fried Pickles
- Spicy Fried Pickles
- Dry Batter Bread Fried Pickles
- Beer-Battered Fried Pickles
You can read more:
Simple Fried Pickles
- Wedged dill pickles (3 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- Flour (1 cup)
- Cornmeal (1 cup)
- Lightly beaten egg (quantity 3)
How to make
Heat vegetable oil
At first, you have to fill the pan with about 2.5 cm or 1 inch of vegetable oil at 190°C or 375°F. Then test the temperature by the deep-fry thermometer. If you are not comfortable with the thermometer, then add a pinch of corn flour or regular flour to the oil. If it starts to bubble and turn brownish, then the oil is ready to cook.
Make the Batter
Here you have to combine one cup of flour, lightly beaten egg and one cup of cornmeal in a large bowl. Then mix all the ingredients until it got thick and made a smooth butter to dip the pickles.
Prepare the Pickles
First slice the pickles. Then sprinkle the pickle with pepper and salt to taste.
Dip the Pickle Into The Batter
Use a fork or tongs to lower the pickles into the butter. In this stage move the pickles around till it covered out completely. Hold the pickle above the batter to rid the excess batter drop off the pickles.
Fry the Pickle Slices
Once all the pickles are covered up with the batter, it’s high time to fry them. Lower or put the pickles into that hot oil using a set of tongs or a mesh basket. Fry the pickles till they turn golden brown as well as crisp enough. The entire drying process will not take more than two to three minute. It depends on the size of the saucepan. When the pickles float on the surface of the oil easily, they are done. When one batch is fried, put another batch to dry.
Remove the Fried Pickles from Oil
Put some paper towels on a plate which will absorb the excess oil with a set of tongs.
Finally serve the pickles quickly as it loses the crispiness easily. Serve the fried pickles with some dressing.
Caution: Don’t slow down the temperature and crowding the pan. Then the pickles will be sloppy instead of crisp.
Spicy Fried Pickles
- Mayonnaise (1/4 cup)
- Drained horseradish (1 tablespoon)
- Ketchup (2 teaspoons)
- Sliced dill pickles (2 cups)
- Vegetable oil (1/3 cup)
- All-purpose flour (1/2 cup)
- Cajun seasoning (2 teaspoons)
- Italian seasoning (1/2 tsp)
- Cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp.)
- Salt (1/2 tsp.)
How to Make
- Make the sauce: As it’s a spice recipe, we make a delicious sauce with the pickles. To make the sauce, mix the mayonnaise, drained horseradish, ketchup and Cajun seasoning gently in a medium-sized bowl. Now stir all the ingredients till it creates a creamy and rich mixture.
- Heat the oil: Heat 2.5 cm of vegetable oil and measure the heat by deep-fry thermometer. However, Make sure it got the right heat 190°C or 375°F.
- Make the batter: To make the butter mixture, whisk a half cup of all-purpose flour, Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, salt, and the half cup of water and mix the entire ingredient.
- Dry the pickles: The pickles should be dry before frying. For that, place the pickles slice on the paper towel and then pat them to dry.
- Add the pickles slice to the batter: Toss the entire slice to coat them in the batter.
- Put the pickles in the oil: For frying, take the pickles slice out from the batter by a fork or slotted spoon which will throw excess batter drip off. Then add the pickles to the oil.
- Fry: Now fry the pickles till they turn golden brown. However, this process should take 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat: Once they are crisp enough, remove them from the saucepan with the same fork and place the fried pickles on the paper towel to flow out the excess oil. Meanwhile, repeat the process to rest of the pickles.
- Serve: Once the entire pickles are fried, serve them with that sauce we have made earlier. If you want, you can serve them with a few celery sticks.
Beer-Battered Fried Pickles
- Drained dill pickle sandwich slices (two 16 oz.)
- Egg (quantity one large size)
- Can beer (1 12 oz.)
- Baking powder (1 table sp.)
- Salt (1 tsp.)
- Vegetable oil
- Flour (1/4 cup)
How to make
- Firstly, drain dill pickle sandwich slices. For this, pat the pickles for dry with a paper towel.
- Then for egg mix, whisk together one large egg, one tablespoon baking soda, one 12 oz. can of beer, and one tsp. of salt.
- Then add one-fourth cup of flour on that mixture. Now whisk the entire ingredients till the mixture turned into a smooth paste.
- Pour oil or vegetable oil into a skillet. Now, heat the oil on medium-high heat about 190°C or 375°F.
- Dip that drain pickles from the batter to drop down the excess.
- Fry them until they turned into golden brown. However, this may take about 3-4 minutes maximum.
- Then serve the pickles with the dressing. Enjoy it.
It’s time to wrap this how to make fried pickles up. In summary, we could say with few ingredients you can make a tasty snack in a very short time. So prepare and enjoy it. Thanks for being with us.